Wednesday, September 8, 2010

two more haiku for the end of a long day

Today it did seem
as though I would do something
creative. Alas.

Possibility.
With Emily Dickinson,
in it I do dwell.

("I dwell in possibility" is one of my favorite quotes and is, as you may have guessed, from Emily Dickinson.)

I'm going off now to continue reading a biography of Dare Wright, author of "The Lonely Doll."   Does anyone else remember those books from about 1957-68?   Coming from a childhood where I often think I recall very little, I have VIVID memories of the book department at Dayton's, where there were copies of the book along with the actual doll which matched the one Dare Wright photographed for the books.










(Like a child version of my original 1959 Barbie -- similar to the one here --  Edith the Lonely Doll had a very worldly-wise face. No vacuous Valley Girl Barbies in MY era!)

The original Lonely Doll (not the re-issued versions of later decades) had very subtle fabric skin... felt or wool.  I crave that doll to this day!  And the Lonely Doll's only friends were a couple of teddy bears... probably also formative of my life as a "bear-holic."


 

The book on the author is fascinating... she seems to have had a totally bizarre and lonely childhood, and looked quite like an adult version of  the doll in the stories.


There are definite benefits to being in charge of a used book sale!

1 comment:

  1. Koi mujhse bhi puch le kyun khamosh hai meri aankhein,Meri zindagi ko fir se maang raha hai ye dil satta king and Har lamha yun kal Ko talash raha hai yeh dil,Guzri yaadon ko fir se jeena chah raha hai yeh dil play bazaar

    ReplyDelete