Saturday, August 7, 2010

I called myself a writer! An artist!

At tonight's all-parish/all school reunion, I encountered a guy I'd gone to grade school with.   When he asked me what I'm up to, I said I wrote... prose, poetry... whatever moved me.  And dabbled in a variety of art forms... whatever moved me.  I so rarely DO that... claim to be an artist of any kind, because I always know there are people MUCH more talented than I, and so what right do I have to claim the title.  But it felt good tonight... because he BELIEVED me!

Is that all it takes???  Why don't I believe the rest of you?!  Maybe because I think that most of you filter your experience of my art through some level of fondness for me... predisposing you to like what I do... while this man has no such filter.  Anyway, thanks for all the times you've encouraged me to envision myself differently than I would left to my own devices.


Your faith is the crack
in the sidewalk through which my
talent bravely grows

(Haiku: seventeen syllables which say:
I am tired. My feet
hurt and I just want to go
right to bed. Good night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment