Monday, August 16, 2010

Something new under my sun

I explored Twitter for the first time today, and one of the entities I said I was interested in following was Writer's Digest. Lo and behold, I learned something new with my first WD twitter: the existence of the "Blitz Poem."  This is a 50-line poem form created by Robert Keim.  It seems to me that it's heavy on structure and potentially light on poetical language, but the first one I tried, I actually liked. Unfortunately, I seem to have left it at work.  So I'll have to create another one here on the spot. (It also seems as though overthinking it could be unproductive, so once again I'll just compose as I go and see what comes. It's very stream-of-consciousness word selection!)

Here are the "rules":  (Rules!  Aaaack!)
  • line 1 should be one short phrase or image
  • line 2 should be another short phrase or image, using the same first word as the first word in line 1
  • Lines 3 and 4 should be short phrses or images using the last word of line 2 as their first words
  • lines 5 & 6 should be short phrases or images using the last word of line 4 as their first words, and so on until you've made it through 48 lines.
  • line 49 should be the last word of line 48
  • line 50 should be the last words of line 47
  • the title of the poem should be three words long and follow this format: (first word of line 3) (preposition) (first word of line 47)
  • there should be no punctuation

 Hollywood's in fall

Stars in heaven
stars in Hollywood
Hollywood's silver screens
Hollywood's tarnished stars
stars in the bright morning
stars in the long night
night alive
night endless
endless dreaming
endless paths
paths unknown
paths well-trodden
well-trodden to destruction
well-trodden to imagination
imagination that all is well
imagination that stars shine
shine over the quiet sea
shine over the reckless desert
desert of hostile sun
desert of healing dark
dark as the deep water
dark as the gull's eye
eye of the lizard
eye of the snake
snake coiled and waiting
snake coiled in spiral
spiral of possibility
spiral of galaxies
galaxies of winking stars
galaxies of diamond waves
waves of sand
waves of ocean
ocean dreamers
ocean swimmers
swimmers in sand dunes
swimmers in salt tears
tears of celebration
tears of disappointment
disappointment is a desert
disappointment is a snake
snake is coiled inside
snake will squeeze breath out
out will come ocean water
out will come star dust
dust fills you slowly
dust softens the hard fall
fall into heaven
fall into ocean
ocean of starlights
heaven

1 comment:

  1. Koi mujhse bhi puch le kyun khamosh hai meri aankhein,Meri zindagi ko fir se maang raha hai ye dil satta king and Har lamha yun kal Ko talash raha hai yeh dil,Guzri yaadon ko fir se jeena chah raha hai yeh dil play bazaar

    ReplyDelete