Sunday, May 9, 2010

I must have 100 cookbooks...

... and a tendency to never follow a recipe exactly as written.  And, when I want a recipe, I almost always pull my old red Betty Crocker cookbook off the shelf, no matter how many current or cleverly themed books stand nearby.  Betty gave me a basic recipe for rhubarb crisp so I could use my freshly picked rhubarb from the little backyard patch that's been there for the 50+ years my family has lived in this house.

I, of course, couldn't leave well enough alone, and added fresh sliced strawberries and fiddled with the flour/sugar/butter/cinnamon mixture for the top.  An hour later, it was warm and fabulous.  I scored the last dollop of vanilla ice cream for my serving!  Had I been a thoughtful relation to the rhubarb, I would have taken its photo before it gave up its stalks for my culinary pleasure... but here are a couple of photos of the creative effort and a satisfied customer.


And here are a few photos I took today of a few our floral friends from the yard, and of the gorgeous roses that Alice and Matthew brought me for Mother's Day.  I was very touched.


No comments:

Post a Comment