"Yeah, I should go. At some point my mom expects me to come over and help her figure out how to put a banana on a kid's nose."
There are certain statements people make that it's best not to pursue. Knowing what this one actually referred to would detract from the sheer delight of having heard it said.
I'm adding it to a precious store of overheard comments saved by my mother and salted into conversations that seemed to call for an entertaining and efficient non-sequitur:
" 'Delicatess,' as poor Fred used to say." (This often led into "If I had my life to live over, I'd live over a delicatessen.")
"It just screams of alligator."
And a personal favorite of mine from my college chum, Arnold: "I have an orange that looks just like your grapefruit, only smaller, and orange."
Thanks to Nadine S. for uttering today's "keeper sentence" and to her mother Marge, who was no doubt successful in putting a banana on a kid's nose.
And while this is not my most creative effort ever, doing some "banana positioning" experiments on my child self gave me the chance to blog Nadine's sentence!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment